Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In the Land of Queen Esther


Cross my fingers, hopefully Sarah Palin will never enter the White House. Max Blumenthal's video 
(posted above) includes lots of footage from inside Palin's church, and exposes the extreme
religious beliefs that guide the Alaskan governor which in an ideal world should give undecided 
voters a pause before they fill out their ballots.

My favorite blogger on Jezebel, Megan, thought this clip was mean-spirited, saying, "So, great. People in Sarah Palin's church behave much like the people in Chip Pickering's church in Borat. They think she's Esther! Alaska is shaped like a crown! They like to run things! They hate gay people, abortion and birth control because it might be preventing the implantation of fertilized embryos. Does anyone not know this stuff by now?" 

Normally I agree with Jezebel's Megan, but in this case I think she's insulated.  I bet most people don't know "this stuff."  I bet most people have no idea that the people who helped get Palin on the ticket (like Focus on the Family's James Dobson) want this country to become a theocracy. 

Having been raised by religious extremists, and knowing how such people's religion dictates every aspect of their life (who else besides James Dobson could convince my parents to send me to reform school in the Dominican Republic sight unseen?!?), I confidently can say that bringing Palin's beliefs to light is not being disrespectful, it's crucial, because they shape the policies she will use to govern.  That's why I believe that Blumenthal's video is a must-see.




No comments: