
When I was in the fourth grade, my parents pulled me out of the public school across the street from my house, and enrolled me in Greenwood Christian School. It was there that I "celebrated" my first Roe v. Wade Day.
We all donned black armbands. We participated in a prayer service, begging God to help overturn the decision passed by the "liberal judges" on the Supreme Court. Across America, other evangelical abortion opponents marched in protest, or picketed centers that provided abortions.
I didn't really get why we wore armbands, but I did like the ceremony of it, I liked being part of something bigger than me, my family, my school and our small town in Mississippi. I thought abortion was a sin.
Now I think differently. There are too many people on the planet. Too few resources. Too many kids who don't have anyone to nurture them. The list goes on, but I'll stop there.
I'm thrilled that President Obama lifted the global gag rule on abortion. U.S. funds for contraception and other family-planning services will again be able to support organizations that advocate, counsel, or offer abortion.
More importantly, I appreciate that our President showed sensitivity to the pro-life movement, and waited until January 23 to restore the funding. In 1993, President Clinton did not.
It's refreshing to have a leader who treats others with courtesy and respect, despite his disagreement with their position.
No comments:
Post a Comment