1. Vic Chesnutt and Jonathan Richman at the Bowery Ballroom- June 16th

The crowd was silent during Vic Chesnutt's set at the Bowery---all you could hear besides him was the shuffle of people's feet. Loved new (at least to me) song about being the worst friend in the world. (I think) most of the songs he played were from Skitter-On Take Off, the album he recently recorded with Jonathan Richman and Tommy Larkins. It won't be released until September on Vapor Records.
As a singer, a songwriter,a flamenco guitarist---Jonathan Richman is a superstar. His drummer, Tommy Larkins, is also way kicka**. Loved songs from newest album- Because Her Beauty Is Raw and Wild, Es Como el Pan, When We Refuse to Suffer, etc. I watched from the foyer, and danced, danced, danced.
Me to Vic: “Why isn’t he selling albums? I want to take this back to Montauk…this is incredible!”
Vic: “I’d rather see Jonathan live than listen to his albums any day.”
Me: “But Vic, not everybody can go on tour with Jonathan Richman.”
Vic: “Oh yeah, well you should buy his albums then.”
So I did...
New discovery: I used to always think Athens was the only place where people stand and watch live music stiffly. Wrong!
2. Playback in Montauk at the Memory Motel:
Being from Athens, I rarely see cover bands, unless they are doing something iconic like Phosphorescent’s rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, or Folklore covering the Kinks’ We Are the Village Green Preservation Society, or Tiny Sticks & HiHiHi covering E.S.G. and Wings…
I live in music heaven, and am so very, very spoiled...
But the guys from Playback were so much fun! With a huge repertoire- covering the sixties til now…this lady and I parallel danced most of the night…

3. Cracker at Highline Ballroom in NYC
When I’d get really lonely for Athens, I’d watch the video to Cracker’s “Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out,” just to see my lady friend V.V. in her dining room. Seeing V. in the flesh(she was on the road with Cracker), accompanied by old school Athenian/Brooklyn transplant Scott Sosebee, was so much more fun. Great set—loved Yalla, Yalla, We All Shine A Light, Hey Brett,…plus older stuff. Such a great night- AND I got lots of work done on the Jitney and at a Manhattan Kinkos before the show.

4. Orange Crush at Memory Motel in Montauk:
I’d rather have been seeing Etienne DeRocher and friends play Athfest…sigh…
5. Madeline Adams and the White Flag Band and Ginger Envelope at Hookah Joe’s:
On my way back from Albee, my husband and I stopped in Asheville. Jim Wilson (Madeline’s drummer) spotted us wandering as the Madeline Adams/ Ginger Envelope tour bus drove by. Jacob Morris called, “Did I just see you guys? We’re playing!” Two great sets, one super fun night, until the next morning, when we were woken by a 7:30 false fire alarm.

No comments:
Post a Comment