Sunday, November 30, 2008

3 Nights at the 40 Watt



Danielson played a week ago. I'd never seen them or really listened to them, but I left a fan. They make great music. They dress up in adorable matching costumes, wearing my favorite brand of shoes, FLUEVOGS. They were also incredibly gracious, and they tried their best to trying to get the audience to snap or clap along. Didn't work--Athenians tend to be kind of stiff....



The 25th anniversary of the release of R.E.M's Murmur (my first favorite album) was November 25th---and several local bands played its songs. I really liked the covers from Liz Durrett (pictured), Packway Handle Band and Don Chambers.


November 29th was wet and cold, but I'd heard way too many awesome things about the Duke Spirit to skip them. The Duke Spirit are this killer soul/blues based/rock and roll band from England, fronted by the lovely Liela Moss, who not only is an amazing performer, she's got a strong set of pipes that remind me of Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star). Definitely worth seeing if they come around.

No comments: